Tuesday, October 06, 2026

Drought? Maybe Not for Now.

This is the follow up to our post of 4th October.
On 2nd October a severe weather warning was issued for the Illawarra and parts of south coast, central and southern tablelands, the central west slopes and plains.
I had been following this weather system as it crossed the continent from the west.
Details provide by WeatherWatchTV indicated that it could be a substantial rain event.
With that in mind I cleaned out all the house gutters which is not my most favourite job.
Lots of ladder climbing.












Saturday the 3rd started with intermittent showers.
But watching the Bureau of Meteorology radar it was obvious that more was to come.
Around midday the heavens opened up with torrential rain and thunderstorm after thunderstorm.
We had simultaneous lightning and thunder at times.
House rattling stuff.
It continued all afternoon and into the evening.












Our local weather station recorded 60mm for the period.
I believe further south we got more.
They even had a tornado in our nearby town just after midday with near 100km/hr winds.
It caused some damage.










Tornados are not a usual occurrence in our area. I can only remember one other in my lifetime.
Anyway, the upshot was our water shortage is no more.
Our tanks, including the new addition are full to overflowing.
Our dams are looking a lot healthier.












And the creek is running again.

No comments: