Monday, May 23, 2005

Sydney to Singapore

It was an early start to get from Umina to Sydney airport but traffic is very light that time of the morning so made it without problems. The Qantas flight to Adelaide was uneventful. Turned out that the father of the guy I was sitting next to owned a property in Milton. It has been a long time sinc I had flown Qantas. We had a nice breakfast and the service was excellent.
I had a few hours to fill in in Adelaide so walked to the international airport from the domestic. A bad move! It was a lot longer than I expected plus it is a major construction zone.
The Singapore Airlines flight to Singapore was great. I had been upgraded to first class on a brand new Boeing 777-200. There were very few passengers on board and the service was exceptional. Food and wine were as good as any good restaurant. The flat bed seats would also be an advantage on the next flight. I arrived in Singapore early and made it through immigration and customs in record time. My ex business collegue was there to meet me and we headed into town for a meal. He took me to a very nice cafe that served traditional Singaporean fare. It was a combination of seafood and chicken with nose running chilli all washed down with excellent Tiger beer. We then moved on to a bar where a friend of his was singing and consumed a few more Tigers. Then it was back to the airport to catch my 1 am flight to Rome. There is no doubt that Changi Airport is one of the best in the world, spacious and efficient with lots to do and see while waiting.

No comments: