Tuesday, April 27, 2021

COVID-19 / Collateral Damage

I have been with the same bank for decades, since my first housing loan way back in 1973.
But when internet banking became the norm, I hardly ever visited a branch except maybe to pick up some foreign currency for an overseas trip every two years or so.
And I can’t remember the last time I wrote or received a cheque.
Nevertheless, it came as a surprise that the bank is closing down its branch in our town.
Apparently the pandemic and its social distancing ramifications convinced people who were holding out that on line banking was not so bad after all.


Face to face banking fell to an all time low which had initiated the company’s decision.
There is a good chance our bank won’t even have an ATM in town.
Ours is not the only branch or indeed other banking companies’ branches suffering the same fate across the country.
Our area has a population of approximately 17,000 and is serviced by quite a few banks and building societies, all with charge free ATMs so I guess ours won’t be missed too much.
Our nearest branches will now be 30 minutes south and 60 minutes north away. 
I am sure this won’t be the only changes in our future daily lives caused by Covid.

No comments: