Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Date Day - Canberra

Canberra is the capital of Australia and is a 2 hour drive for us west over the mountains. Half way is the historic town of Braidwood where we usually have a pit stop. This time however we noticed one of the old pubs, The Albion, had been converted into a cafe retaining the same name. They have excellent coffee (we partook going and coming back) and an interesting lunch menu. They will soon be open for weekend dinners.
The main reason for going was the Canberra Quilt Show.
We arrived just on opening. There was a huge queue waiting for tickets and entry but it all moved fast. A quick survey estimated the female to male ratio of around 5000:1. But I like quilt shows and shops and feel quite at home in that environment. There were some amazing works of art on display, so will leave it to the co driver to take up the story.......
Co-driver here....
As The Mister said, we had date day yesterday. I love date days!
Up at the butt-crack of dawn and on the road by 7:30 with thoughts of quilts dancing in my head.
Originally, I had planned to go to the Sydney Craft and Quilt Show but it didn't work out so the Canberra one was IT. I hadn't been before so I kept my expectations low but, man oh man, there were some beautiful quilts on display.
And the number of people? Holy crap, Batman, they must have been bussed in from all over Australia.
The market area was bustling also but I kept my purchases under $25.
Yes! you read that correctly, $25.
Everything is double or triple the price here in OZ so I'm saving my fabric dollars until I get to the United States of America.
Here is a selection of my favorite quilts from the show. The artistry of these women just blows my mind.
Enjoy.
And there are more to follow over the next month or so!












And for more amazing detail, some close ups of the above.

1 comment:

Karen said...

Looks like you guys had a wonderful date day! The quilts are awesome.... thanks for sharing!